Welcome your guests with this cool motion activated Arduino Holiday wreath.
This Holiday wreath project is sure to impress your friends and family, not to mention the UPS delivery guy, as they approach your front door! Here’s how to do it:
The project uses an Arduino microcontroller with the Adafruit MP3 shield and a Parallax PIR motion sensor to detect if someone is approaching the doorway. It then plays a custom greeting pre-recorded and pitched to sound like a jolly elf, followed by a random Christmas song. The song(s) will keep playing as long as the PIR sensor picks up motion within 15 seconds.
Christmas Wreath Components
You’ll need the following items for the Arduino:
- 1-Arduino Uno (or similar)
- 1-Adafruit “Music Maker” MP3 Shield for Arduino w/3W Stereo Amp – v1.0 (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1788)
- 1-Micro SD card for MP3 files
- 1-PIR Sensor – I used a Parallax sensor from Radio Shack
- 1-Speaker, <=4 ohm. I picked up a budget Bluetooth speaker at Fry’s Electronics and pulled just the speaker out
- 1-Christmas Wreath
- Some fuzzy pipe cleaner/case for Arduino
- Power, either:
- 1-9 VDC 1000mA regulated switching power adapter (or similar, Arduino compatible) OR 1-DC battery pack
For further steps to make this fun and welcoming Holiday wreath, that is sure to surprise and please your guests this Season, click HERE!