Everything you ever wanted to know about MIDAS Lab, all in one place.
If you don’t see the answer to your question, contact us!
- Can I use all of the tools and machines at MIDAS Lab?
The majority of our tools and machines are available to the public, with a few reserved for research-use only. It’s all listed here.
- How much does it cost?
To use our fabrication lab, you will need to purchase a membership and take a course if you want to use any of the tools or machines. After that, you will just have to pay for any materials you use (unless you bring your own). Our computers in the Learning Centre are available for design use by our members as well.
If you’re still on the fence, come on by for a free tour and we can answer any questions you may have!
- I bought a membership, does that mean I can use the tools and machines right away?
First of all, welcome to the MIDAS Lab team! Secondly, you will need to take the related course before using a machine or tool for safety reasons. If cost is a barrier, there might be some grants you can apply for (for commercial members)!
- I already know how to use one of your tools or machines, do I need to take a course for the others?
We recognize you may already have the skills…but for safety protocols and because every fab lab is different, you will need to take a course for the tool or machine you want to use. We might be able to offer you a personalized course depending on your needs. If you’re interested, please contact us.
- How do I know when a tool or machine is available? Can I just drop-in?
If you don’t book a tool or machine and simply show up, you may not be able to use it as they may already be in use.
- Are materials supplied by MIDAS Lab or do I need to bring my own?
You are welcome to bring your own materials but best to review with us first. We also stock common materials with minimal markup.
- What courses are offered at MIDAS Lab?
- Intro to Laser Cutter
- Intro to CNC Router
- Intro to 3D Printing (Ultimaker 3D, Delta and CR10 printers)
- Intro to 3D Printing (Form2: SLA resin printer)
- Intro to 3D Printing (Markedforge – Mark2)
- Intro to 3D Scanning
- Intro to 2D/3D Design Courses (We offer custom courses based on your experience on Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop, AutoCad, Spaceclaim, Blender and Tinkercad.)
To view our upcoming courses, click here!
Don’t see the course you want listed here? Let us know and we can either offer you a custom course or we’ll add a new one to our roster if there’s a high demand.
- Why should I take a course?
Although you may have previous experience with some of our tools and machines, we do need to ensure that everyone will use them safely.
After you take a course on the machine or tool, you’ll be able to use it independently.
Our instructors can adapt any of the courses to your specific needs.
- When are your courses?
Our course information and schedule can be found here. If you’d like to take a course, you can pay directly online and book a spot.
If you are interested in something that is not listed, please let us know!
*Courses must be pre-booked, no drop-ins please.
- Do I need to bring anything to the course?
You do not need to bring specific equipment.
If you are taking a course for one of the machines in our woodshop, you will have to wear closed shoes and we will provide safety glasses and hearing protection.
- How can I pay?
You can pay by debit or credit card on site or we can invoice you and you can pay at home. We do not accept cash, cheques or cryptocurrency. (Sorry, Dogecoin enthusiasts.)
- Do you offer group training?
Yes! We offer group training on demand. Please contact us with some details on what you’re looking for and we will organize a course that fits your needs.
- How long is the course valid for?
There is no specific length of time for the validity of a course. Our staff members will be able to tell you if they think a refresher is required.
- What are your different membership options?
We have two main types of memberships: public and commercial. For each membership, you can subscribe for one month, six months or one year.
If you are a commercial member, you can subscribe for a Commercial Lite membership if your company has one to two employees. If you have three or more employees, the Commercial Platinum membership is the one for you!
If you are a public member, you can switch to a corporate membership if you decide to sell what you are making. We can also help you launch your business through the BC Venture Acceleration Program!
We also offer the possibility of donating a Digital Technology Workshop to the organization of your choice! Want to combine this donation to a membership? Tadaaaa we have a few package options just for you 🙂
Check out this page for more information about memberships. P.S. It’s cheaper if you pay in advance.
- Can I get a refund for my membership?
Sorry, memberships are final sale and we do not offer refunds.
- Can my kids take classes and become members?
Due to insurance restrictions, children under 16 years old cannot use MIDAS Lab machines or tools.
We will be organizing a lot of events and courses for kids, thanks to the GLOWS program. You can also make a difference by donating a Digital Technology Workshop ($500) to a local youth group, community centre, library or school of your choice.
- How many times can I come to MIDAS Lab with my membership?
It depends on the membership! Commercial members can come from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Public members are welcome between 12 p.m and 8 p.m.
You should reserve your machine or tool before your visit to avoid disappointment. Please contact us at email@example.com to book a time.
- Is it possible to get a tour of MIDAS Lab?
It sure is. We organize free public tours every Thursday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Come and bring your friends! A staff member will be there to answer your questions and show you around.
- What should I wear or bring when coming to MIDAS Lab?
If you are working in the woodshop, you need to wear closed shoes. You’ll also need to wear safety glasses and hearing protection which we provide at MIDAS Lab.
And as much as we love hoodies and long hair, they can be a safety hazard. Please tie up your hair and make sure to wear clothing without hoods or other dangling parts that could enter a machine.
- Can I leave my projects at MIDAS Lab?
We do not have specific storage to keep projects at MIDAS Lab. However, if you need to store something overnight, we will find space to accommodate you.
- Is there a space I can rent to organize an event like a workshop, conference, etc.?
Yes, you can rent our Learning Centre!
Please contact us if you have any questions.
- What are Maker Services?
If you have a project in mind but you don’t have the time or the interest to learn how to use our tools and equipment, we can make something for you!
Contact us today to book a time to speak with one of our Makers about your project.
- What do MIDAS Lab Makers provide?
Our Makers provide support for:
- Research, development and prototyping (support starting at $60/hour)
- Software 2D & 3D design – using CNC software applications including AutoCAD, Solidworks and Adobe Creative Suite
- Fabrication equipment operation including 3D scanning, 3D printing, CNC milling equipment, wood and metal working and electronics
- How much cost your Maker Services?
Please contact us for a quote. Cost will depend on the machine or project.
- Can I expect to get a rush job done immediately?
Contact one of our Makers to discuss timeline. It really depends on how busy the machines are and how tricky the project is. We will always try our best to help you reach your goals and meet deadlines.
- Can MIDAS Lab help with the design process?
Yes we can! Let’s meet to discuss your project. Our Makers will be able to give you an idea of the cost and time.